Thursday, August 14, 2014

Genie, You're Free!







 
When I heard the news, I was in deep shock. One of the most genius human being in entertainment industry passed away, and it gave a big impact to the whole world. It was the first time I ever cried to someone I don’t know personally but only through his works and characters as a comedian in films and television. I’ve known and admired him when he did the voice of Genie in the 1995 Disney film Alladin. It was my sisters and I’s favorite Disney movie ever. I don’t even recall how many times we have watched it on DVD. Genie is the life of the film; we didn’t stop laughing every part of his funny character in the film. It was only Robin Williams who can do that. I could even imagine the expression of his face doing Genie’s character. It was superb!

From Genie, to being Mrs. Doubtfire, to being the man who was trapped in Jumanji for Twenty six years, Jack, Bicentennial Man, and his famous role as Dr. Hunter "Patch" Adams, these are only few of his unforgettable characters, who could ever not know Robin Williams?

I admit, his death gave an impact in me as her follower. I lost part of my childhood. And it was heartbreaking knowing that another important figure of our entertainment world has left the Earth. 

I’d like to think he is not dead and instead waiting inside his lamp for Alladin’s next wish. It is really hard to believe that someone like him is an example of human struggle with depression. Not with Robin Williams. His image does not speak what he really is inside. He made people laugh, but how come no one knows his alone? And this quote from him really struck me: “I thought the worst thing in life was to end up all alone - it's not. It's to end up with people that make you feel alone.” 

Robin Williams was just one of 39,000 Americans who take their lives each year. The longstanding puzzle is why anyone arrives at so tragic a place. He was one of the greatest humans out there. Perfect? No. Struggled very much. But he lit up the room with joy. And that is a tragic loss.

Robin Williams chose to make other people happy when he wasn’t even happy himself and I will always have endless respect for him because of that. He transcended his art form and touched Generations. He left this world with the WORLD on his side. He is truly a league of his own.  His works and love for his craft will always be remembered. He will never be forgotten.

"Genie, you're free!"

No comments:

Post a Comment